Spot Prawn Spaghettini in Citrus Cream Sauce
Instructional Cooking Video - Click here
- 1 package GoodFish Seafood Co. Spot Prawns, thawed overnight in the fridge or by placing frozen prawns in a sieve and running under cold water until defrosted), peeled
- 1 450 g. package spaghettini
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- ½ cup diced shallot (approx. 1 whole shallot)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated with a microplane
- ¾ cup dry white wine (not fancy, but something you would drink)
- 1 tsp. Dashi powder
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Red pepper flakes
- 1 cup whipping cream (do NOT substitute – anything other than full fat whipping cream will curdle with the addition of citrus)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ bunch Italian flat leaf parsley, picked and chopped
- 2 tbsp. cold butter
- Salt and pepper
- Cook Pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Reserve 1 cup pasta water and drain in a sieve.
2. Prepare Sauce
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium.
- Once hot, add shallots and cook 2–3 minutes, stirring regularly, until shallots are turning soft and golden.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly to prevent garlic from burning, for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add white wine to the pan and cook for 1–2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add dashi powder, worcestershire sauce, whipping cream, and half of both the parmesan cheese and pasta water.
- Add zest and juice of both the lemon and orange and cook 2–3 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
3. Finish + Serve
- Add spot prawns and cooked pasta to the saucepan and combine using tongs.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and add cold butter. Combine again using tongs.
- Adjust sauce consistency with remaining pasta water, if necessary.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Divide between serving bowls and garnish with remaining parsley and parmesan.